You are here
At this equestrian breeding farm in northeast Ohio, the expressions of function and site are couched in the vocabulary of the Western Reserve. Mature stands of Beech, Maple, Walnut, Pine, and established Mockorange and Lilac anchor the drive and pastures while remnant apples bespeak the property’s former life as an orchard. The original house, built in 1871 serves as the main residence. As the gate opens to the three hundred acre property, a canopy of 150 year old sugar maple overhang the residential compound containing main residence, garage court guesthouse and greenhouse. The new front garden, with a rose and box knot, richly detailed sandstone and brick paving and grotto fountain beckons welcome. The dining room and recent screen porch addition, paved in thermalled bluestone slabs open onto a bluestone terrace overlooking a lake with the equestrian compound beyond. The lakes and a dam over which the farm drive passes through an allee of planetrees, separate the residential from equestrian portions of the farm. Two century barns, used originally for dairy and adapted for mare stalls and a state of the art breeding laboratory share a new cobblestone courtyard with a recent twenty stall bank barn. A former chicken coop, grainary, and corn crib salvaged from other properties but without place or purpose for several decades were moved and joined and now serve as breeding manager’s quarters. Grade differentials across the barn compound, pastures and beyond are mediated using retaining walls and details of indigenous cut sandstone. Sandstone was also cut and used for the new building’s veneer. At the edge of the barn court integrated into a retaining wall, a fountain in the manner of a watering trough was cut from the same sandstone and a touchpad control for secret water jets was concealed in the masonry. The design components of the barn court are elemental and used throughout the property in broad sweeps creating spaces of lucidity beyond their prosaic function.